LIFEbeat is a registered charity formed in 2009. Our mission is to improve the emotional wellbeing of young people – giving them the skills and inspiration to overcome the challenges they face, to navigate the divisions in society and to lead confident, healthy and purposeful lives.
We do this through programmes that develop four key qualities:
What we offer
We run three strands of programming that complement each other:
Personal development for 14-18 year olds
LIFEbeat offers personal development programmes for 14-18 year olds, run in Devon and Leicestershire.
LIFEbeat offers professional training for youth workers, teachers, coaches, trainers and therapists.
Volunteering for adults
LIFEbeat offers fully supported volunteering opportunities to make a real difference for young people in the UK.
Click on the tabs to find out more:
1. Week-long residential summer camps The camps are the heart of the LIFEbeat programme. They enable participants to challenge themselves; develop new skills, expand their creativity and make friends for life. Camps are set at Stanford Hall in Leicestershire or Embercombe in Devon.
LIFEbeat camp is like a gateway to confidence – Zayn, 17
2. Peer mentoring programmes In 2016/17 LIFEbeat piloted a peer mentoring programme designed to train and support programme alumni to make a transition into the adult staff teams and community. It was highly successful, and we will be running the programme biennially, with the next intake in January 2018.
As a peer mentor, I was able to see positive change in myself and help create the same change in others. – 2016 Participant
3. Safe LIFEbeat creative community networks Youth are encouraged to keep in touch throughout the year with organized reunions and safe online community building.
Creative Practice workshops designed to enliven youth work and teaching practice.
I discovered amazing techniques for engaging and facilitating young learners. – 2016 Participant
Bespoke creative trainings for teachers within school settings and PSHE trainings for teachers.
A week-long adult volunteering programme at our summer camps
Ongoing group mentoring opportunities with young people within the LIFEbeat community.
All LIFEbeat programmes are based on the premise that:
- we are all essentially creative
- we share a desire for a safe sense of belonging
- we need genuine and authentic connections with others
- we are capable of empathy and compassion
- we develop and thrive within loving, creative community.
Based on the practices and principles of The Creative Community Model, our programmes use a unique combination of creative expression, personal story-telling and group work, combined with peer-to-peer support. Our approach stimulates participants’ creativity, via carefully structured processes, combined with individual and group reflection, to help them develop sustainable take-away personal and professional qualities and skills. LIFEbeat’s programmes result in unique qualities of joy and celebration, which supports deep group and individual learning.
Who we work with
LIFEbeat deliberately works with as diverse a population of young people and adults as possible. Building bridges across perceived lines of difference in our society is a core part of what we do.
Over 90% of young people felt their confidence improved after camp
Almost 80% of participants set themselves clear goals regarding their future
Over 75% of adults brought new skills, creativity and attitude back to the workplace following LIFEbeat programmes
Two thirds of young people were inspired to pursue their goals
Reference: London Business School Survey 2015